Carpets are my favourite type of coverage for floors. I love the feeling of the fabric under my feet while I walk through the room. But despite of them being very practical and warm, they still have some weak points, which need to be taken under consideration. For once, if you spill something on your carpet, you can’t just wipe it and hope for the stain to disappear magically. Keeping your carpet clean and without stains on it, is practically a mission impossible. We spill things on our carpets all the time, and once we do, cleaning the stains right away is our only chance to get rid of them completely. Many people waste a lot of time and money on commercial cleaning solutions and different ineffective, and sometimes even dangerous options. On the other hand, I prefer to create the cleaning solution myself. It takes me less time and it’s safer than most options they sell in the stores. Here’s one of my favourite recipes.
- 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dish washing liquid
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 cup of warm water
- A spray bottle
- A sponge
- An absorbent towel
1. Gather the ingredients. Most of the needed ingredients can be easily found in every home. The only actual work you will have to do is to prepare them and mix them in the correct way. Baking soda and vinegar can be easily found in almost every store, if you don’t have them at your house right now. These products are widely used for cleaning all kinds of surfaces around the house. Don’t forget, that when you mix these two ingredients, there will be lots of fizzing and foam. This is because the vinegar is an acid, and the baking soda is a base. When you mix them together, they create lots of cleaning bubbles, which can dissolve all kinds of dirt. To avoid any accidents, overflowing foam and other unpleasant hazards, first you should add the dish washing liquid, then add the white vinegar and pour the water on top. Afterwards add the baking soda, gently and over a sink, just in case. Once all the baking soda is in, quickly close the top of the spray bottle.
2. Once your homemade carpet cleaning solution is ready, it’s time to prepare the carpet for the entire cleaning experience. To achieve quality and durable results, you’ll need to make sure that the carpet is completely clean and there isn’t any dust settled on the fabric before you start cleaning. Otherwise you will just spread the stain and board it deeper into the carpet fabric. Therefore, you should gently vacuum the entire area, until you’re sure that there isn’t any dirt on it. Then pick up the sponge and wipe the spot gently, using the abrasive side. This will remove some of the dirt, making it easier for you to scrub off the rest.
3. When all the loose dirt and dust is gone from the fabric, you can proceed to the actual carpet cleaning procedure. Spray the dirty area with your homemade solution. Use a generous amount of the cleaner, because the stain needs to be soaked for a while, if you want to remove the staining completely. After you leave it for a few minutes, you should get the absorbent towel and start dabbing and rubbing the spot gently. If the cleaning solution is prepared properly, you should notice the results almost instantly. Most of the stain will disappear in the first few minutes, and for the rest you’ll just have to rub a while longer.
4. Keep dabbing until the stain is gone and the carpet fabric dries from the spraying. If you must, you can apply cleaning solution to the carpet once more and repeat the process until the stain is fully gone.
Latest posts by Jane Wilson (see all)
- Lighting and decor tips for french style interiors - September 24, 2019
- 10 Steps to an Organised Kid - June 7, 2019
- How to Select Outdoor Light Fixtures for a Perfect Garden - May 30, 2019