The overflowing sink is, unfortunately, a common problem in any household and it can occur at any time. If you are faced with a similar situation, it’s important to not panic and check out the following suggestions on how to unblock a drain and cleaning a sink, all of which can be made with ingredients you probably already have in hand.
We recommend trying them before turning to chemicals, because natural drain cleaners do not harm plastic drainpipes, are safe to use for children and pets, and do not emit harmful chemicals or contaminants into the air. Of course, everyone is welcome to try commercial-grade drain cleaners, but you must read their labels and follow the directions carefully.
Why is drain maintenance so important
Drains are the veins of your house and are extremely important to keep them healthy, clear and functioning properly.
- Goodbye to bad odours: There is always a nasty smell spreading all over the house from the sewage system when there is clogging of the drain. However, if you smell this odour before your drains are clogged, it is a clear indication that you need to get it cleaned. The worst part about these odours is that it contains dangerous health-damaging particles mixed in the air.
- Instances of blocked drains decrease: Regularly clearing your drains with the following DIY recipes will make sure that you don’t have to deal with this nasty problem that often. Just like many issues, prevention is the best course of action.
- Reduces other related expense: It is a big myth that if you leave the blockage issues as it is, it will go away on its own. In fact, after some point in time, it can cause even more damage to your house, like water spilling all over the place, causing flood and other water damage problems. When these damages start to happen, they can result in unnecessary expenses such as calling professionals to cut the pipes because they are too damaged, replacing the entire draining system or dealing with a flood caused by a clogged pipe.
How To Unblock Drain With Homemade Drain Cleaners
Baking Soda and Vinegar
1/2 cup baking soda, carefully sprinkled down your pipe, followed by 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar. Cover the drain to force the drain cleaner to work its way downward through the pipes, creating a strong chemical reaction that clears the clogs.
Allow an hour to pass before pouring a kettle of boiling water down the drain. Repeat this process two to three times to clean your drains completely. Make sure, you should not use hot water in your PVC pipelines and you can use warm water in this regard.
Salt, Borax, and Vinegar
Pour 1/4 cup table salt down the clogged drain that is dry. Salt helps to avoid grease accumulation in drains and also helps to eliminate odors. 1/4 cup borax is poured down the drain on top of the salt. Pour half a cup of white vinegar down the drain on top of the two powders. Pour a kettle of boiling water down the same drain and set aside for an hour. To rinse any remaining powder down the drain, turn on the water faucet.
Salt and Baking Soda
In a big measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup table salt and 1/2 cup baking soda. Depending on the magnitude of the clog, pour this powder down the dry clogged drain and let it sit for 45 minutes to overnight. Fill a kettle with boiling water and pour it down the drain. If required, repeat the process until a good drain flow is achieved.
Tartar, Salt, and Baking Soda
In a large measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup table salt and baking soda, then add 2 tablespoons cream of tartar. To ensure that all of the ingredients are uniformly distributed, stir them together thoroughly. If the drain isn’t completely dry until attempting this, the powdery mixture will simply form a paste that won’t go down the drain. Pour a pot of boiling water down the clogged drain and leave it alone for an hour. To rinse any remaining powder down the drain, turn on the water faucet.
DIY methods can be extremely helpful when you have to deal with clogged sinks and drains in general. It’s a lot safer, for once, and better for the environment. Sometimes, however, the problem is just too big and you might have to hire professionals for your blocked drains issues to avoid any major issues.
- Top 5 Tips To Choose Tree Pruning Services In Melbourne - September 14, 2022
- Where To Find Personal Security Services In Your Area - August 17, 2022
- The best way to take care of your drains - May 27, 2021