Usually when you hear the term home improvement, people think about fully refurbishing their property. However, the main idea here is actually to do small changes in your home to make it more valuable. Whether it is just cleaning up, organising the storage, installing some shelves or changing the tiles, there are so many ways you can go about it.
So if you’re looking for a bit of inspiration, in this post, we will discuss simple and innovative ideas to improve your washroom area.
Giving The Bathroom A Thorough Cleaning
You can’t really start renovating your bathroom without cleaning it first. And we don’t mean just a light dust and a quick mop. You need to clean thoroughly and remove all the dirt stored inside the tiles, in the corners, behind the toilet bowl, shower or bathtub area, etc.
You would probably have to use special detergents to clean the tile grout from your bathroom floor and walls. The same goes for all the glass surfaces – mirrors and shower glass. If you use normal detergents or dish soap, you will leave unpleasant streaks that would be hard to remove.
We know it’s not the most fun part but it’s very essential, so let’s go through the process. It includes unclogging the drain and shower head, disinfecting the wall, shower glass, washing the shower curtain.
How to do it:
- Good ol’ white vinegar comes to the rescue to clean and unclog the showerhead. Fill a plastic bag with enough vinegar to submerge the showerhead in it. Then, seal the bag with a rubber band, and let soak for a few hours or overnight. Scrub and rinse with hot water.
- To disinfect the tile walls and floor, spray them generously with all-purpose anti-bacterial detergent (nothing too harsh). Let the shower run with hot water so that the room fills with steam for a few minutes. Turn off the shower, close the door and let the steam and detergent work for a few minutes. Wipe the walls and then the floors clean and rinse with warm water.
- Clean the shower glass with your usual window cleaner. Then use a squeegee to rinse the glass. This will prevent any strokes or dried drops of water. A handy tip is to use a squeegee every time you take a shower. This way the glass will always look spotless.
- And finally, the shower curtain. You can wash almost any type of shower curtain material in the washing machine using your usual laundry detergent. Just don’t forget to wash only the curtain and remove all the hooks beforehand. Let it air dry completely before hooking it back up.
Shower cleaning includes cleaning showerheads and shower curtains.
How to do it:
- Fill a plastic bag with a liquid detergent or you can also use vinegar mixed with water.
- Tie this bag to the showerhead to make sure the showerhead is completely soaking in the liquid inside the bag. Leave this bag overnight.
- The next morning, remove this bag and allow hot water to flush through the showerhead, and it will remove all the minerals stuck in it.
- You can use an alternate method if your shower curtain is removable.
- Take it away from the wall and soak it in a detergent in a small container.
- After some time, you can use a pointed object to poke in the holes of the showerhead and clean them and remove dirt clogged in there.
This is the most distasteful task of all, but at the same time most essential.
How to do it:
- Sprinkle baking soda on the walls of the toilet bowl and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Brush it off and rinse. Then use your usual toilet detergent and let it work for 15 minutes.
- Use the time to wipe clean the outside of the toilet and don’t miss the side corners or the space behind the bowl. Scrub the trash can inside and out.
- Finish by rinsing the toilet bowl and soaking the toilet brush in a bowl filled with bleach.
Bathroom Sink Cleaning
Turns out the sink and its drain are covered in even more germs than the toilet itself. So this area needs daily attendance.
How to do it:
- You should start by making a daily habit of wiping off the sink after each time you brush your teeth so that there is no buildup of soap and toothpaste.
- Pour half a cup of baking soda and one cup of white vinegar into the drain to clean and unclog it.
- Spray all-purpose cleaner all over the sink. Let sit for 15 minutes and then wipe it clean. Also, wipe the handles and taps, as well as the outside of the sink.
Install Bathroom Storage
It’s essential to have enough space in your bathroom, especially if the room is quite small. The best way to do this is install extra storage space such as the following:
- Towel racks on the door or next to it;
- Vertical shelves next to the shower and toilet;
- A medicine cabinet and mirror combined above the sink;
- Basket shelves hanged on the door;
- A cabinet under the sink for cleaning supplies;
- Adhesive hooks on the door and the inside of the cabinets;
- Magnetic strips on the inside of the cabinet doors;
- Repurposed furniture to fit your bathroom – a standing shelf or an empty bookcase.
Just unleash your imagination and we’re sure you’ll find the solution for your bathroom. Most of the projects, you can do by yourself like hanging the shelves, changing the lights or moving furniture around. For the more complicated things, though, we recommend contacting a professional handyman.
Change The Old Lights
Lights have a significant effect on the design and overall feel of the bathroom, so if you feel like the current lighting situation is not working for you, just replace them! Put an accent light above the sink or somewhere around the cabinets. String lights are also quite interesting and could be a great addition if you have a place to put them. It’s really up to you! Lastly, we just want to recommend that you go with LED bulbs because they don’t waste energy and are the better choice to save the environment.
Make Your Bathroom Amazing With the Right Tiles
Creating the perfect bathroom might be an entertaining, yet responsible task, if you want to fully enjoy your time there. There are all kinds of work that can be done to upgrade your bathroom. From tiles, shower/bathroom area, sink, tapware, windows to towels, soap and aroma candles.
To have everything in order, you need to have at least an idea of what needs to be done. It could be a small project or an entire bathroom makeover. For excellent results, this type of work requires experienced handyman service. You don’t want to change your tiles in less than a year because someone didn’t do their job, right?
Decide the Mood
The most important thing is to have at least a brief idea of what you want your bathroom to look like. It’s essential that the bathroom follows the style of your home. It might happen naturally with small projects like changing tapware, colours of towels, etc.
There are several options for picking the right tiling material. The most commonly used tiles are the ceramic ones. However, porcelain tiles are more expensive but made from a more refined material, which makes them more durable than ceramic ones. Both tiles are popular due to the endless possibilities that they offer.
The current trend is to make bathroom areas even more exquisite with composite and natural stone tiles. Composite stones offer more consistency in patterns, stain and scratch resistance and have a long warranty. If you prefer the curves and flaws of the natural stone, this type of tile will add some additional elegance to your bathroom.
Choosing the right colour could be a tricky part. If you don’t favour any particular one, try to browse the web for some ideas. You might as well see that there are a lot of examples for high and low contrast designed bathrooms. It really depends on your taste. On the other hand, if you have this simple rule in mind it would be easier for you to choose: Light coloured or neutral tiles will always make any space appear larger, a darker tile can make your bathroom appear smaller and cosier.
We know how much all of you love cleaning. Ha-ha. So, if you want to make your shower area a lot easier to clean, instead of tiles, install large slabs or glass panels, since they make cleaning much easier than small mosaic-type tiles. Also, don’t forget that grout also needs to be cleaned regularly, because sometimes they appear to be a germ central. So if you have dark tiles with light grout, the moment they start to get dirty, everyone will see it.
Having all kinds of renovations is fun, yet an expensive experience if we want to keep some money for that long awaited vacation. Before you start, make sure you have a strict budget and don’t exceed it. Tiles could be a good investment, so it’s better to spend a little bit more on them and less on accessories.
TIP: If you have trouble with the selection of materials, colours, etc. it’s better to have professional advice from bathroom renovation experts. They will gladly share their previous experience with home renovation.
Just like any home renovation project, all you need is time and imagination. You just have to remember that most of the time, we think that we need something great – change the entire design, replace the furniture, change the toilet, showerhead, etc. However, a lot of times, a thorough cleaning, some decluttering and the right light can transform your space entirely!
- Five Changes to Apply to Your House Before Selling It - June 28, 2022
- How to clean and organise your summer house - January 27, 2022
- How Often Should Pest Control Visit Your Home? - January 13, 2022